Under direction from the Surveyor General, Spatial Services – Department of Finance, Services and Innovation plays a vital role in supporting the survey industry in New South Wales by:
- Participating and contributing in national geodesy to define the national datum and geodetic control standards.
- By extending, improving and maintaining the official state survey control network.
Spatial Services provides support to the survey profession and community through provision of these online information services:
- CORSnet-NSW is a network of Continuously Operating Reference Stations.This network of permanent satellite navigation tracking stations enables subscribers to obtain precise positioning across NSW.
- SCIMS Online contains coordinates and related information for survey marks established under the direction of the Surveyor General and is maintained for the purposes of cadastral boundary definition, engineering surveys, mapping and a variety of other spatial applications.
- The Spatial Services portal offers a convenient way for surveyors to access survey information.
- Surveyor General’s Directions provides guidelines and helps interpret the regulations for surveying practice.
- The Board of Surveying and Spatial Information (BOSSI), sets and regulates competency standards for surveyors in NSW.
- Land and Property Information's e-Plan enables surveyors to submit survey plans online for registration.
See the Survey Services information sheet (PDF 153.9 KB).
For a general overview of maps, mapping, cartography and map production see the Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping (ICSM) Fundamentals of Mapping which provides a consolidated summary of mapping concepts, principles and practice.